My Blog List

Monday, January 24, 2011

Where It Used To Be


I used to read the New York Times most mornings. I still look at the web-edition but I rarely read it - except for Paul Krugman and Frank Rich, that is. I do read the Guardian newspaper every day to find out what's not happening in the United States of America and what is happening in (and to) Detroit, Michigan. I started reading the Guardian for its arts reporting, especially its coverage of music and books (literature and non-fiction). Geoff Dyer who is a favorite author of mine writes for the paper from time to time. He authored the insightful But Beautiful: a book about jazz. He also reported on the first electronic music festival that was held in Detroit, Michigan in 2000. The Detroit piece appears in his Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It. He remarks in the latter that When asking for directions in Detroit, one is given as a reference (coordinate) where something used to be located. "It's around the corner from where the train station was." Well the Michigan Central Station is still off of Michigan Ave.; but just barely. I direct your attention to the recent photo feature in the Guardian. 


http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2011/jan/02/photography-detroit


This brings me to next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment