My Blog List

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Basketball & "Down a Path of Wonder"

I must admit I'm a big fan of college basketball. I've tuned into ESPN instead of my ancient cares: Schoenberg, BeBop and philosophy. So I'm attending to "March Madness" instead of "Tenor Madness", basketball madness instead of the madness of so-called Conservatives, both musical and political. Since I watch the basketball games on TV with the sound off (until the last 4 minutes), I have been able to read in Robert Craft's recent collection of essays and reviews, Down a Path of Wonder: Memoirs of Stravinsky, Schoenberg and other cultural figures, Naxos Books (2006). I have long admired Craft's New York Review of Books' prose style. The essays in his prior collection, The Moment of Existence: Music, Literature and the Arts 1900 - 1995 are also recommended, especially the essay on Thomas Bernhard, "Austria's Negative Poet Laureate". In the Naxos' essays, Craft's three page chapter on Schoenberg's A Survivor from Warsaw illuminates this work for the listener.

I'm looking forward to Louisville verses Connecticut this evening. The Big East games are usually better with the sound up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment