My Blog List

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Well, The Politics Rest is Over (Only Briefly)

I couldn't help passing along an article that appeared in today's Guardian. Viz.:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/03/israel-government-reckless-mossad-chief

P.S. Last evening I started watching (again) the BBC production of I Claudius. What I try to avoid, viz., politics, leads to what I'm trying to avoid, viz. ..... Oh, well.

P.P.S. Since I made the mistake of railing on about politics, and the Israel-Palestine-60-year mess specifically, I decided to look at The Jerusalem Post newspaper. In an article by Avi Perry I found this:


The humiliation of 1948 and the call to redeem lost honor is more exigent for the Palestinians than the call for a peace offensive. In this context, the PM had no choice but to dispel illusions in his speech to Congress.


What more is there to say? Nothing. Just a kind of Karl Kraus juxtaposition. I recommend Dicta and Contradicta, a translation of Kraus by Jonathan McVity, U. Illinois Press 2001; especially the section "The Press, Stupidity, Politics". One finds such topical delights as,
Politics has all the suspense of a thriller. The gesticulations of diplomacy present the comedy of states blackmailed by an international gang. [49]  



No comments:

Post a Comment