My Blog List

Friday, September 23, 2011

Coltrane! Coltrane! John Coltrane - né September 23, 1926

The last time that I heard John Coltrane in person was January 22, 1966 - the year before his death. His quartet performed at Cobo Hall in Detroit, Michigan. On the program with  Coltrane's quartet were  Monk's quartet and Sarah Vaughan accompanied by a trio. Coltrane also performed with Monk that evening for the last time. My wife and our unborn son were there with me. Our friends, the Murphy's, also attended this concert. The first time that I heard Coltrane was in the fall of 1959 when he appeared at Ford Auditorium with the Miles Davis Sextet. A rather full account of the fabulous August 1961 performance of Coltrane's group at the Village Gate in NYC which featured Eric Dolphy and Roland Kirk appears in my blog posts of March 17 and 26, 2011.
     Happy Birthday, John!

http://www.johncoltrane.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment