My Blog List

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Don't Be Coy With Roy - Eldridge, Stitt et al.

Listening to the 1957 Verve recording Only the Blues - reissued in the fabulous Real Gone Jazz 4 CD set, Sonny Stitt: Eight Classic Albums - knocks me out, kills me, etc. These recorded performances by Roy Eldridge and Sonny Stitt, supported by the rhythm section of Oscar Peterson (p), Ray Brown (b), Herb Ellis (g), and Stan Levey (d).
  Roy Eldridge could play with anyone, in any context, Jimmy Ryan's to Birdland & beyond. He was known as Little Jazz to jazz-loving enthusiasts. But to musicians he was known as Jazz. I think the latter appellation is most apt; as a musician his talent was immense. He was one of Lennie Tristano's very, very favorites. And of course Bean and Prez loved Jazz.
  Listen to Jazz with Billie Holiday - Fallin' In Love Again; with Mildred Bailey - I'm Nobody's Baby; with The Chocolate Dandies (Coleman Hawkins, Benny Carter, John Kirby, Bernard Addison and "Big" Sid Catlett) - I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me and I Surrender Dear; with Teddy Wilson's band (Buster Bailey, Chu Berry, "Big" Sid et al.) and with Anita O'Day & The Three Sounds - Whisper Not. Sublime! Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment