My Blog List

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Intelligent & Knowledgable People

Robert Paul Wolff on his very, very . . . . blog, The Philosopher's Stone, writes:
Johnathan suggested I check out election.princeton.edu, which I did, discovering that this technically sophisticated blogsite, run by a Princeton Biophysicist, Sam Wang, has even rosier projections for Obama than Nate Silver or Votamatic.  Now, I have already had my say about my shameless searching out of experts who confidently predict that what I want to happen will happen [which, as I pointed out, is almost the functional definition of a religion.]  But I took a few moments to read some of the scores of comments and comments on comments that had been posted on Sam Wang's site, and once again I was powerfully struck by the wealth of intelligent, knowledgeable people out there capable of speaking more thoughtfully, with more detail, and in a more balanced and reflective manner than any of the well-known paid opinion-mongers who clog the airwaves and the Op Ed pages of the major newspapers.  This seems to be true no matter what subject you choose to Google, regardless of whether it is an arcane specialty or a matter of common interest. 
I certainly hope Wang, Silver, and/or Votamatic are right in their predictions. As I mentioned to my wife this morning: If Obama loses, there'll be no Christmas this year.

Professor Wolff's comments are always insightful. In addition to being a philosopher and blogger, he's a viola player! Take a peek:
http://robertpaulwolff.blogspot.com/
election.princeton.edu
votamatic.org

No comments:

Post a Comment