My Blog List

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday of New York - WKCR.ORG

This afternoon - 2PM until 7PM - I'm spending with WKCR-FM's internet stream. I often listem to WKCR while I'm reading stuff from the internet. I've quite given up on the New York Times. The Guardian - both the US and UK editions - command my attention. Any newspaper that puts THIS music (fka "Jazz") in the Classical Music (aka "THAT music") section of its online paper - where THIS music deserves to be - deserves support. WKCR has been broadcasting the news about THIS and THAT music for 71 years. It's sublime hearing vinyl on the air-waves - CDs are on offer for the listener too. Take a listen and make a tax-deductible contribution to this National Treasure.

The other day, the great New York City radio station from Columbia University featured the music of Detroit's Donald Byrd, with of course Mr Byrd's runnin' buddy, Highland Park's Pepper Adams. The fabulous '60s. I always have Detroit and Highland Park on my mind. The music of both cities is always with me. Donald Byrd passed away very recently.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130207/NEWS08/130207102/Donald-Byrd-legendary-Detroit-jazz-man-dead-at-80

No comments:

Post a Comment