My Blog List

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Terry Teachout's Unlikely Duke

A few years ago I picked up Terry Teachout's then recent (2013) biography of Duke Ellington. I looked at the first pages, thumbed through the book, put it back on the shelf; saying to myself, "This is not for me" - there was an nasty smell about the book.
     Duke Ellington's nephew, Stephen James has taken steps to set the historical record straight in a thoughtful calling out of Mr. Teachout and his Duke: A Life of Duke Ellington. Mr. James' essay is to be found online at
                                http://jjs.libraries.rutgers.edu/index.php/jjs/article/view/77
     As I mentioned to a friend today, when we were growing up musically we had WQXR's John S. Wilson to contend with. Today Terry Teachout of the Wall Street Journal is our burden.
     For those who desire to know, David Schiff's The Ellington Century and, of course, Gunther Schuller's writings on Ellington and much else are the places to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment