My Blog List

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Detroit Music, Musings

Today, 20 May 2017 I needed some Detroit music. I started with trumpeter Donald Byrd and his Blue Note recording Off to the Races featuring Jackie McLean (alto saxophone), Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone), Wynton Kelly (piano), Sam Jones (bass), and A. T., Art Taylor (drums).
    Next I went to the Donald Byrd Sextet with Yusef Lateef (tenor), Bernard McKinney (euphonium) and Barry Harris (piano), Alvin Jackson (Milt's brother, bass) and Frank Gant (drums). This live recording was took place at The New World Stage in Detroit (Highland Park?) on August 23, 1955. Circa 1957/8, friends and I peeked in on the music happening at The New World Stage in Highland Park. Abe Woodley (vibes) and the group were performing Bird's Blues for Alice, one of my favorite Charlie Parker compositions. I heard Donald Byrd perform at the Minor Key club circa 1960. When I was in New York in 1961, living in a loft at 326 Bowery, I ran into Barry Harris on my way to the Original Five Spot Cafe. We were both on our way the check out Ornette Coleman who was performing at the Five Spot.
    In the fall of 1961, a former girlfriend and I walked from her house on Puritan Street in Highland Park past Klein's Show Bar on 12th Street one evening. Yusef Lateef was performing at Klein's that evening -- sadly we keep walking. Before Yusef Lateef left Detroit for New York, I had the pleasure of taking with him over coffee at the Minor Key. I remember the night/morning at the Minor Key when Yusef Lateef got into a profound tenor saxophone session with Clifford Jordan -- Detroit verses Chicago.
    Order your copy of Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit 1920 - 1960 by Lars Bjorn with Jim Gallert (University of Michigan Press).    

No comments:

Post a Comment