My Blog List

Friday, August 31, 2012

Willard's 911 call - Dirty Harry's on the Case

There was a Clint Eastwood movie marathon on the tube a few years back. I decided to see what Clint Eastwood was about; I had never seen any of his films - I don't seek out violence in films. But I felt I owed the revered Clint Eastwood and the character in Dirty Harry series of films a viewing. If I recall certain details accurately, Eastwood's Dirty Harry whacks (blows away, kills) a gang of black guys who are robing a bank. These multiple killings take place on police Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan's way to work, in the opening scene. Years later a friend persuaded me to watch actor-director Clint Eastwood's Detroit (automobile) film, Gran Torino. I watched a little bit of it. I found it to involve another Eastwood character waving a gun or rifle at people, and certainly not worth my time. After his Motor City debut, Clint Eastwood got a fat bit from Chrysler to do a Superbowl ad.
  Clint Eastwood rarely has much to say in his films - it's gun-waving, mumble-city. Why the Republican National Committee thought it could get a coherent sentence or paragraph out of Eastwood interrogating a chair confounds me.
  It's always been about guns, gunboat 'diplomacy', and killing. The GOP and Dirty Harry (aka Clint Eastwood) were having a grand old time last evening. Here's what Robert Mitchum had to say about such matters (see Wikipedia "Dirty Harry" entry):
There are movies I won't do for any amount. I turned down Patton and I turned down Dirty Harry. Movies that piss on the world. If I've got $5 in my pocket, I don't need to make money that fucking way, daddy.
   But when it comes to America's greedy, tax-evading, pompous, insiders; making money by any means available is all right - it's reckoned as civic achievement. No doubt there's something utterly absurd about this.
   Here's the YouTube link to the babbling Mr. Eastwood's interview with the chair - did the RNC and Eastwood really wish to invoke Samuel Beckett?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiHNVYRTKP8 

  



No comments:

Post a Comment