My Blog List

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Alto Saxophone Despondency - Unwarranted?

I blogged on the other day about being unable to think of alto saxophonists of THIS music (fka Jazz) after Jackie McLean that inspired awe on my part.  I guess what I really had in mind were young alto players. There may be youngsters who can play (burn), but I just haven't made contact with them either in person or by recordings. I may also be that one of the young altos that I recently heard in person was struggling in a group that did not provide an appropriate musical context for his art. I took another listen to the alto player in another (highly regarded quartet) and I remained unimpressed with his (and the group's) music-making and music. A friend of mine was (and is) quick to apply the appellation "avant" to the group, which I suppose is short for "avant-garde jazz or improvised music". I believe the terms "avant" and "avant-garde" are overused and used without regard to the terms' focal meaning having to do with invention of new works, forms and ultimately stylistic change.
   It's a matter of musicians inventing the new and not a matter of musicians expropriating (without invention) what was new - pastiche elements of the early 1960s' improvised music strung together without variation or development. I blame myself for detesting music minimalism - Glass' works. And I find minimalist influences in some of the improvised music that I quite don't find interesting. Years ago I heard the Philip Glass Ensemble in concert - three soprano saxophones, electric keyboard/organ, sound projection set-up, and vocalist. As a performance it was quite hip and very satisfying. Although I have a good number of CDs of Glass's music, today I cannot stand to listen to it.
  Right now I'm listening to William Parker, Roy Campbell, Daniel Carter, and Rashid Bakr: Other Dimensions in Music - Now. Yesterday I was quite satisfied with the music of the alto saxophonists Rob Brown and Jameel Moodoc in the good company of William Parker and others. I wouldn't call THIS music "avant" or "avant-garde". I will say this: Whatever we call it, it's HEAVY.
  If you've read what I've blogged on about previously, you'll know who I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment