My Blog List

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bert's Marketplace - Drop Me Off There!



Jim Murphy, Thom Pride, and I were recently at Bert's Marketplace in Detroit's Eastern Market for an evening and morning (11:30PM - 3:00AM) of wonderful Detroit music - improvisations grounded by driving-intense-poly-rhythmic pulsations provided by the rhythm section that featured superb electric piano, rock-steady bass, and outrageous percussion by the young drummer (just two years out of high school). The quartet's trumpet player had a lot to say also and his attack, while percussive and strong, was less to the front of the music, and was a little (not much) laid back. These musicians certainly knew what they were doing. And they went for what they knew!
     Names, names, names . . . . That magical Friday (8 July 2011) the only 'hat' that I had on was my music hat; I had neither my Blogger’s nor my journalist’s hats with me. I was transfixed by the music. [As I write this, I’m listening to Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers - Blakey and his Messengers were present at Bert's Marketplace that Friday. That’s what it was like.] Except for the surname, "White", of the fabulous post-high- school drummer, I don’t know the names of the other members of the quartet. When I am apprised of the missing names, I'll revise what I've written here. I must add that the other drummer (no-name yet) on the date was terrific also.
     I met Scott Reiter, an alto saxophonist and band leader, who was sitting in with the quartet. Scott is from Toledo, Ohio and is a friend of the pianist Stanley Cowell (the Second Toledo Flash) and poet, DJ, etc. John Sinclair (I've mention John elsewhere). Scott was at Stanley Cowell’s house when The Toledo Flash, Art Tatum was giving a piano lesson! To have met a person who was in a room with 'God' ! . . . . Scott pointed out to me that the legendary piano-man, Johnny O'Neal was in our room that evening. He also pointed out a post-high-school alto saxophonist who proved to be quite on "creative alert" and up to hanging with what was happening musically.
     Now the quartet’s keyboardist (no-name yet) performed brilliantly Friday. After Johnny O'Neal sang a ballad, he assumed the piano chair. The mentioned keyboardist stood behind O'Neal with his mobile-phone’s camera ready to photograph O'Neal’s flying fingers. A piano lesson was provided and photo-notes were taken - it was a piano-flash and percussion-discussion kind of night; the horns weren’t locked out by any means, it’s just that the rhythm-thing was so, so heavy.
     The young lady who attended to our refreshment needs was engaging. The music was both engaging and incredible.

http://youtu.be/U1zZJRPy0MQ

No comments:

Post a Comment