My Blog List

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What To Do? What To Think About? - Coming Distractions

Over the past few days, my time has been delightfully spent as a short-order cook for my son and his family. I have also spent some of this time with my doctors. Regarding the later the Viennese satirest Karl Kraus comes to mind. His German is reputed to be untranslatable; but there have been 'translations', among which are the following (I quote from memory):
Doctors: "Your money and your life."
Psychoanalysis: "Psychoanalysis is that disease of which it reckons itself to be a cure."

     I've been thinking about writing about my experiences as an unpaid, unappreciated and reviled music producer (I prefer the term "music-ecologist") - projects which involved the Arditti String Quartet, David Murray, Oliver Lake, Hamiet Bluiett, John Stubblefield, the World Saxophone Quartet, and D. D. Jackson. Except for the Arditti, photographs of these master musicians have been displayed in this Blog at various points.[*] Thus this music-ecologist shared a similar fate of certain environmental-ecologists: distain and marginalization.
     What might be the opposite of eco-nut? Eco-Imperialist, Rapist, I suppose. What might be the opposite of music-eco-nut? I leave this as an exercise for the reader.
     [*] Arditti link with photograph: http://www.ownvoice.com/ardittiquartet/

No comments:

Post a Comment