My Blog List

Sunday, July 31, 2011

"Carlos", Plato, & No-Doz? (not required)

It's Sunday. I feel that I must explain myself concerning my blog-abouts - Where has Rayesti been blog-wise? Yesterday my wife and I attended to Olivier Assayas' 5 1/2 hour film "Carlos", featuring Edgar Ramirez in the title rôle. This engrossing film is a docu-fictional account of  the old-school terrorist Illich Ramírez Sánchez - better known as "Carlos". Carlos and his various crews (old-school "gangs") had a violent 20 year run, beginning in 1974, as Europe's maddest, baddest, and most wanted criminals. Carlos is presently in a French prison. Since I'm not down with the death-penalty, that's exactly where I. R. Sánchez should remain - in prison.
     Plato. Ah, Yes! Since the Fabulous 1960s Plato has been my man. I was formally introduced to Plato by George Nakhnikian in his Introductory Philosophy course at Wayne State University. I continued my Plato studies at Wayne with Raymond Hoekstra.
     Today, Christopher Rowe is tutoring me. His very instructive Plato and the Art of Philosophical Writing, CUP, 2007 is my guide. Rowe opposes the scholars' usual tripartite arrangement of the Plato corpus into Socratic, Middle-period, and Late-period dialogues. He prefers a pre-Republic, Republic, Post-Republic arrangement - with Socrates, in jazz terms, soloing with Plato throughout; free-(jazz)-Plato. In other words, Christopher Rowe maintains that the character of Socrates in the dialogues is Plato's mouthpiece. It's all very complex; that's why it thrills me - very musical. The Introduction of Rowe's book has 175 endnotes! I am down with Plato and Christopher Rowe's Plato.

No comments:

Post a Comment