My Blog List

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Reading and Listening to Plato

I've been attending to Plato lately - Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo, Republic in the Tom Griffith translations. I've also been peeking into some of the scholarly doings - Grote, Burnyeat, Santas, Fine (among others). So much for what I've been doing and thinking about. I hope to Blog on about my Plato soundings in the future, but not soon.
     My Plato preoccupation has precluded my usual music obsessions. But Plato directs my very limited music listening to the string quartets of Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven and to Mozart's and Beethoven's piano sonatas - the wonderful-jazzman Friedrich Gulda CDs. I had started a blog-post on these music-matters, but Plato stopped me.
     Plato stops me here too.
 

2 comments:

  1. Why does Plato stop you, Ray?

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, Plato, when I am reading him, stops me from doing other things that I usually enjoy. There are so many aspects to his dialogues which force one to be on attentive alert, setting aside most other pursuits - listening to music and blogging, for example. I am not stopped by other philosophers and authors. But Wittgenstein can stop me on occasion. His Philosophical Investigations is very dialogue-like.

    ReplyDelete