My Blog List

Monday, August 29, 2011

Mauricio Raúl Kagel (1931 - 2008) - New & Newer Music

Many so-called serious-music devotees could be accurately described, in Daniel Dennett's terminology, as not believing in serious-music (God); but believing rather that they ought to believe in serious-music (God). Now serious-music devotees are most often not serial-music devotees. They may get to Mahler, but not beyond. That's alright as far as is goes. There's a hell of a lot of great music between Guillaume de Machaut and Gustav Mahler.
     The above is what I started with, what I started to say, a couple of days ago. I've been obsessed lately with, among other things, the Julliard String Quartet's early mono recordings of the Vienna Trinity - Schoenberg, Berg, and Webern. I've also been listening to Mauricio Raúl Kagel, the headliner of this post, Stockhausen, and Boulez. I've been reading Paul Griffiths' (my modern music tutor) The Substance of Things Heard. (Speaking of quartets, I'm re-reading Lawrence Durrell's The Alexandria Quartet.)
     I discovered a very interesting blog yesterday that treats music and recordings in a very interesting manner. Its called The High Pony Tail. Its link appears on the sidebar. Later I hope to complete what I started to say herein. Until then a great deal of reading and listening are required of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment